Warooka Council & R.S.L.
The area covered by the District Council of Warooka was 146,890 hectares (362,690 acres), bounded by the Peesey Swamp to the East, and by the sea on all other sides – 177km of coastline. The first chairman was Thomas Robertson and the first clerk was Joseph Vigar. Meetings were first held at the home of Mrs.Baker until 1890, and later Mr.Keightley, until a council office and reading room were built at the rear of the Institute in 1898. When the Memorial Hall was built in 1928 a council office and library were incorporated at the front of the new hall. In 1947 a ratepayers poll gave council the power to borrow to build a new office and R.S.L. Clubrooms. Planning began in 1953 and the building opened in 1956. Since the amalgamation of the District Councils of Warooka, Yorketown, Minlaton and Central Yorke Peninsula in 1997, this office has become a branch of the Yorke Peninsula Council.
Until the end of World War 2 returned servicemen of the Warooka district belonged to the Yorketown sub-branch of the R.S.L. In January 1946 a sub-branch was formed at Warooka with President F.G.S.Ball, secretary W.H.Baker and 21 members present at the first meeting. At the February meeting a move was made to approach council for assistance with clubrooms. In 1956 the new clubrooms and council offices were opened and the sub-branch moved into its own quarters. For many years the Warooka R.S.L. organised the ANZAC services. At first these were held on the afternoon of the Sunday nearest ANZAC Day in the Memorial Hall, but since the late 1960s have been held at dawn on ANZAC Day in front of the council office, followed by a march to the memorial gates at the oval – these being the district’s World War 2 Memorial. Like many sub-branches with dwindling members, Warooka R.S.L no longer exists, however the clubrooms still house next-of-kin Memorial Photographs, and are used for community meetings and other activities.